Sunday, May 9, 2010

For my friend...

So a while back my friend Carlos, (who recently finished Basic Training in the United States Army), asked me if I could do something w/some of his pictures. He had seen some of my scrapbook pages I uploaded to my Facebook. I guess he decided he'd like to have something to give his mom since he knew he was going to be sent to Afganistan for a year. Naturally, I said it would be my honor to do something with your photos for you. So about a month ago he stopped by with his shots & spent some time telling me about some of them so I could have some info to add to what I create for his mother. I just finished the 2nd 2 page spread for his book & I totally LOVE how it is turning out! Have a look for yourself...

I wanted to keep this page focused on the photos so I went with a neutral background that matched the photos well. Gotta love the basics, good old Bazzill Kraft cardstock was perfect for the job. My page design was inspired by my latest copy of Scrapbooks Etc. Magazine-June 2010 issue (pg. 108 Kim Moreno's "Bond" LO). She used strips of pattern paper to anchor 4 different size photos on her page. I did the same thing using pp & ribbon on page 2 with 4 of my 6 photos. Because I was working with more pics, I decided to spread them over 2 pages & give myself a larger canvas to work with. I was lucky to find these super cool 3-D Army themed stickers @ Michael's the other day that were 40% off. I couldn't resist & good thing too cuz they look AWESOME on this layout! I hand drew & cut out my own title block from some leftover pp scraps and used a mix of Basic Grey, Making Memories and Creative Imaginations letter stickers for the title. I scissor distressed the pp behind the title block that looks like a post card, (from the Making Memories Vintage Findings large Travel Kit I picked up months ago & so were the little red & white labels I used on 2 of the photos). Finally, to give the layout a finished look I inked the edges with Adirondack Hazelnut and Vintage Photo Distress Ink. TFL & Happy Mother's Day to all you mom's w/son's & daughters serving in the US Military. As a granddaughter of a former Marine & an Army Air Corps Pilot I salute you!

1 comment:

Darlene S. said...

How cool is this!?? You totally rocked this military theme and I think it's so neat that you're doing this for your friend! :)

Can I request some close-ups? I want to oh and ahh at all of your details. :)